Richard is a projects and construction lawyer, heading up our construction team, with over 20 years’ experience in specialist practices in Ireland and Australia both in contentious and non-contentious roles. He is admitted to practice in New South Wales (1995) New Zealand (2001) and Ireland (2003) and has had extensive experience advising in relation to a large number of high value infrastructure and construction projects particularly in Ireland including most significantly in the context of the Irish PPP program.
His expertise includes drafting and advising on contracts for building and engineering works at all tiers, contracts for design consultancy services, project/construction management services, FM/OM services, collateral warranty documentation and agreements for all facets of PPP project work, property development and infrastructure provision.
- Water - Acting for an Australian water authority on the drafting and issuing for tender of an ECI Contract in respect of water savings works for irrigation infrastructure in the Goulburn-Murray district in Australia with a work scope valued at $AUD 350.0 million . Advising in respect of the drafting and settling of qualifications on an alliance agreement put to tender by Sydney Water in respect of upgrades to the Malabar Waste Water Treatment Plant
- Telecommunications - Advised a listed Australian engineering firm in various tenders for, and the administration of, contracts in respect of the roll out of the Australian National Broadband Network and the 5G wireless networks for both Telstra and Optus
- Energy - Advised in respect of the negotiation of EPC contracts (and associated supply subcontracts) on 10 solar power stations located around Australia (each with contract values of over $AUD 100.0 million)
- Rail - Advised in relation to a construct only contract for the tracklaying on the Adani Railway from the Carmichael Coal Mine to Abbott Point Terminal in Queensland (with a value of approximately $AUD 240.0 million). Advised the locomotive maintenance provider in a successful tender for a design, construct, maintain project involving the supply and maintenance of train units for Transport for NSW’s InterCity Fleet (with a value of approximately $AUD 4.0 billion)
- Project Finance / PPP - Advised the provider of station construction works and locomotive maintenance in the North West Rail Link PPP, a rail link for the Rouse Hill area north west of Sydney (with value of approximately $AUD 8.0 billion). While previously based in Ireland (between 2001 and 2011) Richard participated in over a dozen Irish PPP’s including Cork Waste Recovery Facility PPP, Cork School of Music PPP, Irish Metropolitan Broadband Network Phases I and II, Greystones Harbour Redevelopment PPP, Criminal Courts Complex PPP, National Conference Centre PPP, Schools Bundles 1, 2 and 3, Metro North PPP, N17/N18 Gort to Tuam PPP
- Property Development - Acted for a Student Accommodation provider in Sydney in relation to the development agreement for construction of their student accommodation facilities at Broadway (270 beds) and Chatswood (395 beds). Acted for a property fund manager in agreements relating to the construction works for leased property and the subject of lease obligations and agreements for lease
- Contentious Construction - Acted for main contractors in defence of various adjudication applications by subcontractors under building industry security of payments legislation in NSW
- While previously in Ireland, Richard was involved in:
- a large scale arbitration in respect of the M50 road widening project acting for the procuring authorities
- advice (acting for the procuring authority) in respect of a negligence claim against a consultant engaged as consulting engineer and contract administrator in respect of the project for the upgrade of the Dublin Waste Water Treatment Plant